All credit goes to Michelle from Making Sense Of Cents for the idea for this post. I have been reading similar posts with great interest and thought it would be a good post to talk about the things that me and Steve don’t mind spending our hard earned cash on. There will also be another post very soon discussing the things we do mind forking out for.
- A holiday every couple of years – Don’t get me wrong, we don’t mean an all out extravagant holiday, just a simple few days away from home whether we are staying in the UK or going abroad. Working from home means I often get cabin fever and sometimes need a little break.
- A car – Whilst it doesn’t have to be the flashiest newest ride, Steve needs a car to get to work (it takes him 45 minutes to get to work either way) so he needs something reliable.
- TV – I don’t go out, I rarely drink, I rarely go shopping. My only real expense is my TV package, internet connection and our phones. Most people downgrade to the smallest package possible when budgeting but we found an amazing deal where we get almost £200 back in cashback (which pays almost 4 months of the TV bills) and £100 in gift cards for joining them. Being at home all the time with Jack and with a partner who works strange shifts means I often work at nights when Steve is doing night shifts and Jack is asleep. This often means that I need to entertain myself during the day which is why I don’t mind spending a little more on this luxury.
- House Maintenance – Whilst we privately rent, this doesn’t mean that there aren’t costs involved with the upkeep of the house. With Steve working weird hours and my lack of gardening skills whatsoever, we don’t mind hiring our family friend to help us out every couple of months and keep us to the terms of our rental agreement.
- Wedding – This may be a shocker – I do plan on keeping costs as minimal as possible but there are a few things I have set my heart on so I don’t mind spending on those so much.
- Skincare – I won’t fork out a lot on make up when there are some fantastic brands out there, but I will splurge a little on good quality skincare. I do have a few budget skincare staples but my skin does tend to favour the more expensive and if they are working, I’m not going to begrudge a few pounds here or there.
This list is probably a lot different to yours, what do you like to spend money on?